Here in the UK we tend to drink more fizz during the Christmas holidays than we do at any other time of year. Perhaps it’s because bubbles say celebration like no other drink on the planet.
Champagne may have established itself over many decades as the “daddy” of sparklers but what if you don’t want Champagne… or Prosecco or Cava?
Here are a few ideas to get your party started…
1. Sparkling Cider
- Plenty of super stuff produced in England
- Great value
- Lower alcohol (often around 5% abv)
- Champagne bottle with cage and cork
- Look out for: Pilton, Jake’s Orchard, Wine Society Normandy Cider, Burrow Hill, Biddenden
2. Large Bottles of Beer
- Attractive 75cl bottles
- Often lower ABV
- Lots of styles and flavours
- Great for beer lovers
- Look out for: M&S, Linemans Cherry Kriek, Duvel, Meantime and Estrella Inedit
3. British Sparkling Wine
- Quality that rivals some of the best champagnes
- Widely available
- Supporting UK grape growers and winemakers
- Competitively priced
- Look out for: Ridgeview, Gusbourne, Furleigh Estate, Nyetimber, Camel Valley, Bluebell Vineyards and Bolney Estate.