Creating an event and sending invites
The Dinner Set's Planner tool makes inviting and scheduling your busy friends a piece of cake.
- Simply click on "Planner" from the main top navigation and choose "Create an event" to open a new event page.
- Fill in your chosen time, date(s), place, times and messageand scroll down to type in each guests' name and email address. Then click 'Send' to send the invite to your friends.
- Your guests will receive your email and are invited to click on a link to visit your event page to select which dates they can attend.
- You will receive update emails from The Dinner Set each time a guest confirms their availability.
- You can visit your event page any time to review your guests responses, to resend the invites or to cancel the event.
- Once your guests have responded, you can confirm the date by clicking the "Set date" button below that date on your event page. This will send an email confirming the date to all guests who confirmed that they were available on that date. Any guests who couldn't make that date will receive an email to say sorry the date didn't work, and you'll be in touch soon.
Don't forget that with The Dinner Set you can...
- Choose up to 5 possible dates, letting you schedule an event around your busy friends in minutes.
- Invite up to 30 friends, making this the perfect tool for anything from a dinner to a drinks party.
- Highlight any special diets that your guests might have and we'll do our best to help you with ideas and recipes.
The Planner is an exclusive tool for our members. If you haven't registered yet, register now for free.
How to manage events
Once you have created your event and sent your invite, there are a few actions you can take:
- Resend invitations- if you haven't received replies from some guests, you can resend your invitations to all guests by pressing the circular arrow-shape shortcut "Resend" button from your main events listings page or by pressing the "Resend invitations" button at the bottom of the event page itself.
- Cancel event - if the date doesn't work for enough of our guests or you would like to invite different people to your event, then you can cancel the event and create a new event with new dates and guests, To cancel an event, press the shortcut shotrcut cross-shape "Cancel" button from your main events listings page or by pressing the "Cancel event" button at the bottom of the event page itself.
- Make notes - the notes box is a useful if you want to make any notes to plan your event, from the menu plan to reminders for the evening. It's just for your use - your guests won't see it.
- Historic events - you can revisit events in the past to see who you invited and see any notes you made about the event.
How do I see who is coming to my event?
Log into The Dinner Set, and click on the "Planner" tab in the top navigation. The "Planner" screen shows you all current and past events you have created. Click on the event you are interested in and a new window will open up showing your event information and which guests have confirmed for which dates.
How do I add guests to my event?
Sorry but in our launch version, you can only invite people to your event when you first create the event. We are working on this for a future version. If you would like to add more people, you can either cancel the event and create a new event with all the people you would like to invite, or invite them separately.
How do I tell my guests which date I am choosing?
Log into The Dinner Set, and click on the "Planner" tab in the top navigation. The "Planner" screen shows you all current and past events you have created. Click on the event you are interested in and a new window will open up showing you your event information. In the table below, you can see which guests have confirmed for which dates. At the bottom of each potential date is a "Set date" button. When you clicking on this button, The Dinner Set will send an email to each of your confirmed guests confirming the date. Any guests who could not attend the date you selected wll receive a different email to let them know that the event dates they were able to attend didn't work and that you will be in contact again soon.
How do I cancel an event?
Log into The Dinner Set, and click on the "Planner" tab in the top navigation. The "Planner" screen shows you all current and past events you have created. Click on the event you are interested in and a new window will open up showing you your event information. At the bottom of the screen is a "Cancel event" button. When you click this button, The Dinner Set will send an email to all your guests telling them that you have cancelled the event and that you will be in touch soon.
Adding a recipe
Follow the simple steps below to save one of your recipes on The Dinner Set to share and access anywhere, any time.
- Log into The Dinner Set - you need to be a member to save a recipe on The Dinner Set.
- Go to the top navigation, hover your cursor over Recipes to see a few options drop down, from which click on "Add a recipe"
- You will be directed to the "Add a recipe" page, where we guide you through 12 quick steps to saving your recipe:
- Name your dish - Choose a name for the recipe, this could include the ingredients and or a specific dish name.
- Summary of dish - Describe in 1 line what your dish is, it's main ingredients, when or how it is best served.
- Ingredients - Try listing your ingredients in the order that they are used. That’s how the chefs do it so they know where they are in the recipe. Try and include all the information you can about the ingredients, like if they need, peeling, slicing, dicing (and all that jazz).
- Method - Write down the steps to make your dish. Then highlight the text and click on the number formatting button above to number your steps like our recipes, then you and your friends can easily navigate the recipe.
- Recipe notes - Here’s your chance to share that thing that made it extra special. Maybe you served it with a really great wine or side dish and want to remember or recommend it. Highlight and bullet the notes using the bullet formatting button above to make the separate points clear.
- Level - Easy means anyone can make it fairly easily, hard means it is quite complicated and may not be for everyone.
- Serves - Estimate how many the recipe will serve. If the recipe could be a starter or a main, choose the number of servings based on the type of dish it is more likely to be served as.
- Recipe image - Always remember to take a photo of your finished dish. It'll help you or any friends you share it with see how it should look and how to serve it. Photos look best taken in natural daylight with good resolution camera. If you want to have some fun with the photo, try using different colour plates or backgrounds in contrasting in colour. Try looking at BBC Good Food and other good foodie sites for inspiration.
- Recipe categories - This is really helpful when you're looking for dishes for a specific time like summer or a specific diet like gluten free. So choose as many as apply.
- Recipe type - Which dish type or course best describes your dish? It might be a starter and a main so you can choose more than one.
- Special diets - This info will be really useful and you can search on it so tick any that apply.
- Tags - Here you can choose existing tags to highlight any main ingredients (e.g. beef), styles of cooking (e.g. stew) or regions (e.g. Thai), which makes the recipe easy to search for and look for similar dishes. As soon as you start typing a word, we will suggest an existing tag. If you think it applies to your dish, choose it and it will appear in a box under the input field.
How to search for a recipe
The Dinner Set has a wide selection of tried, tested and rated entertaining recipes - by us and by you. You can find a recipe in a number or ways:
- Browse - click through the themes on the main Recipes page. There is something for everyone, from Light meals to Gluten free and Child friendly.
- Recipe search - Simply type the kind of thing you‘re after into the search box – from an ingredient to a region or dish name - then click on the search button.
- Fliter - Click on the filter buttons below the search box to narrow your search by course type -from nibbles to desserts.
Why does my recipe look different from when I uploaded it?
To help our users get the best out of the site and each recipe, we have an editorial team what look through new recipes on the site every week, This might mean we help out by correcting any typing mistakes or formatting problems. We promise not to make any significant changes to your recipe. It's yours, after all!
Can I delete a recipe once I have added it?
Sorry, it is not possible in our launch version for you to delete a recipe once you have uploaded it to The Dinner Set. We are working on this for furture versions. In the meantime, if you'd like to delete a recipe, just email us and we'll do it for you.
Can I change a recipe once I have added it?
Sorry, it is not possible in our launch version for you to change a recipe once you have uploaded it to The Dinner Set. We are working on this for furture versions. In the meantime, if you'd like to make a change, just email us and we'll do it for you.
And if you can't find that you're looking for here, email us with any problems and we'll get back to you ASAP!