Buzzy chilli con carne
- Brown the mince really well all over. Remove, leaving the fat in the pan.
- In the same pan that you browned the meat in sauté the onions and garlic until golden and soft, this will take at least 10 minutes, go low and slow so as to caramelise, not burn.
- Add the oregano, cumin, black pepper and chilli paste to the onions and cook out for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add in the tomato puree and do the same.
- Add the browned meat back to the pan with all the juices and everything that has rested out of the meat, mix really well and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the coffee and bring to the boil, once boiling add in the tomato quarters and mix really well.
- Allow to cook on a simmer until the tomatoes have softened and let out all their juice. - 10-20 minutes.
- Now add enough water to just cover the meat and allow to simmer until the beef is really tender and the sauce reduced and thick, you may need to top up the water from time to time.
- Once the meat is tender and the sauce is reduced to a thick glossy consistency season to taste with salt and get ready for one hell of a chilli con carne.
- Serve in bowls with rice, baked potatoes or nachos and a good dollop of creme fraiche and/or guacamole.
- This is a great make-ahead dish. Make it a day or two ahead and the flavours will intensify too.
- If you're feeling keen, here's how to make your own chilli paste: cook 100g dried guajillo chillies cooked in water till tender, drain and blitz in the food processor with 100g of canned chipotle chillies in adobo sauce.