Lamb pilaf with vegetable curry
For veg curry:
- Grind all the spices ginger and garlic together to make a paste. Divide paste into 3.
- Cook 2/3 of the paste on medium heat for one minute in a splash of veg oil.
- Add the veggies. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add a splash of water, put on lid. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer till veggies tender. Done.
For lamb pilaf:
- Rinse the rice 3 times. Cook for 7 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain
- Mix the reserved 1/3 of the paste with the diced lamb.
- In a really good non stick pot heat 1 tbsp oil. Saute lamb till brown but not cooked. Remove lamb to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to low. Melt butter in the pan. Add in a layer of rice to the melted butter. Evenly spread it out but don't pack it down. Scatter in the lamb and the orange peel.
- Layer the rest of the rice on top. Using the handle of a wooden spoon make half a dozen air holes in the rice.
- Cover the pot with a tea towel and then a lid so it is super sealed ancook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Fill your sink halfway with cold water. Immerse bottom of pan of rice in the cold water.
- After a minute or so, turn over onto a platter. You shoukd have a buttery crust of rice. Scatter with the chopped mint.
- Sit down with a cold Cobra and serve up lovely lamb pilaf curry to your gobsmacked mates.
- This makes a great dish for serving to a mix of meat-eaters and vegetarian mates - just make a separate portion of rice for the veggies,
- Serve this with flat breads and a good mango chutney.