Luscious Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Heat a fan oven to 160 deg C.
- Lightly oil or butter a loaf tin or 20cm round cake tin, If you have it, line the base with baking parchment.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, ground almonds and salt in a big mixing bowl.
- Stir in the lemon zest and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs in a bowl, add the yogurt. Pour into the flour mixture and stir in.
- Now stir in the oil until it is all evenly combined.
- Spoon all the mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for 40 mins. To check its cooked through, stick a thin skewer into the middle. If it comes out clean, it's cooked.
- To make the syrup, mix the sugar, lemon and water in a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few mintues and pout into a jug.
- Serve warm or cold. Drizzle the syrup over the whole cake before serving or over individual slices.
This cake it the perfect make ahead dinner pudding served with yoghurt and lemon zest.
Made with rapeseed oil, it contains much less dairy (only contains yoghurt, which can be eaten by some dairy intolerant).
For extra lemon gorgeousness, make a surprise lemon curd centre. Only pour half the cake mixture in to start with, then dollop a teaspoon or two of lemon curd down the middle, and pour over the remaining cake mixture and bake as before.
Try also stirring a teaspoon of lemon curd into the yoghurt to serve.