Oriental beef cubes with mushrooms & peppercorns
- Mix the oyster sauce, sesame oil and sugar in a mixing bowl with a splash of water.
- Throw in the beef cubes and coat them in the marinade. Leave for half an hour.
- In the meantime you can start to cook your rice and prepare your veg.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan to the highest heat possible.
- Scoop the cubes out of the bowl, leaving as much of the sauce in the bowl as possible.
- When your wok is super-hot, place the beef in the pan. It should sizzle and may even catch on fire.
- Toss the beef gently for 2 minutes so all sides are seared.
- Throw in the garlic, chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, green peppercorns and butter and continue to cook for a further 3 minutes maximum.
- Now throw in the rest of the sauce from the marinade bowl and stir for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Serve immediately on warm plates with rice and oriental veg.
- Try this beef with a Californian red Zinfandel, Cotes du Rhone Villages or black IPA.
- This recipe will serve the meat rare to medium rare. Cook for longer if you prefer it more well done.
- This is very hands on for a few minutes and needs to be cooked in one batch so it is better with small numbers of guests.