Sausage and pearl barley supper
- Put the pearl barley in a bowl and cover with cold water. Stir and leave for now.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a big casserole pot that is stove save or a big saucepan. Whatever you normally make a stew in.
- Cook sausages in oil till deep dark brown and sizzling so much you're worried that the smoke alarm will go off. Brown is good.
- Add in the red wine to quit the sizzling. Evaporate.
- Meanwhile bash those fennel seeds in a pestle and mortar or whatever you have to hand.
- Now add the onions, garlic and all of the herbs seasonings to the pot. Cook everything together with a lid on. Stirring frequently till all soft, golden and luscious.
- Add in the pearl barley and all the water it was soaking in and more water to cover if needed.
- Throw in a crushed up chicken stock cube now too and give it a good stir.
- Bring to a boil and allow to simmer till the pearl barley is almost cooked. Add more water as it goes as necessary. Stiring every few minutes. Drinking the rest of that red wine as you go...
- Meanwhile cut brocoli into florets and then even smaller pieces and get the peas out of the freezer.
- When the pearl barley is almost cooked and and the water has evaporated, taste for seasoning and make to your liking. Add in a mug of water and the brocoli. Cook with the lid on for 4-5 minutes. Then add in the peas and cook for 3-4 minutes longer. Turn off the heat. Allow to relax for a few minutes and serve.
- A spoon of creme fraiche on the side works very nicely.
This pearl barley recipe would be marvellous with pork chops, chicken or duck legs.