Smoked ham, pea & spinach pasta
- Put the ham joint in a pot and cover completely with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain completely and cover again with fresh new cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer till it feels very tender when pierced with a knife. Probably around 90-120 minutes. This process stops the ham being too salty. You may need to top up the water during this time.
- Once tender remove from the pot and allow to cool whilst you cook the pasta in the smokey delicous ham water.
- Meanwhile finely chop the parsley and chilli and add to the bottom of your best sexy serving bowl.
- Add the egg yolk and cream cheese with a few grinds of black pepper to the parsley and chilli and mix will with a fork. Making a tasty mush.
- Cut the ham joint in half. Save half for some easy lunches.
- Chop the remaining ham roughly. Just go at it with a big knife. Don't be precise. You want some chopped. Some pulled. Some chunks and some itty bitty bits.
- One minute before the pasta is cooked add the peas and spinach to the pot with the pasta. Stir it up well to wilt down the spinach and heat the peas. Approx 1 minute.
- Take a ladel and add a splash of the hammy pasta water to the parsley etc in the serving bowl. Around 50-75ml with the chopped ham. Mix that up well.
- Drain the pasta and veg in a colander and add immediately to the serving bowl with everything else.
- Mix up well and serve to the table with a big smile, some chilled wine and a green salad.
- Mop up the praise.
This is a brilliant make ahead dish. Cook the ham ahead and you'll all be in pasta heaven in less than 15 minutes.