10 marvellous marinades
Get your kebabs ready! Barbecue season sees us coupling chicken with honey and beer with – well, anything. Read on for 10 marinade marriages made in heaven.
Here are my absolute top 10 magical marinades. They will give you enough marinade for one nice big chicken cut into 8 pieces (our how to joint a chicken video shows you how) or equivalent.
1. Beer marinade - Mix 1 tablespoon or honey, 1 tablespoon of mustard (a sweet mild musard like American yellow mustard works best, otherwise Dijon or wholegrain) with half a can of beer (think lager, wheat bear). for a super easy chicken marinade.
2. 2 minute tandoori yoghurt marinade - Mix 1 tablespoon of curry powder, 1 tablespoon of honey and 10 tablespoons of yoghurt in a bowl. This is great with chicken and fish.
3. Rum and coke chilli lime glaze - This marinade is wonderful on chicken wings, sausages, salmon and ribs. This works as an overnight marinade or an instant one. An instant crowd pleaser.
4. Apple, English mustard, thyme and lemon - 2 cups apple juice, 3 tablespoons of English mustard, ½ a bunch of thyme all bashed/chopped up and the zest of 2 lemons. Great with pork loin chops.
5. Smoked paprika and orange - All you need is a quarter cup veg oil, 4 tablespoons smoked paprika, zest and juice of 2 oranges, 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar. Incredible with veggie skewers.
5. Ginger, lemongrass and chilli - 1 thumb sized piece of ginger grated, zest and juice of 2 limes, 1 large stick of lemongrass chopped and bashed in a pestle and mortar with 1 big fat red chilli. Add 6 tablespoons of vegetable oil to make a paste. Really good with fish and meat.
7. Moroccan mix - 2 preserved lemons chopped, 1 tablespoon of sumac, 1 tablespoon of paprika, 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 handful of fresh mint leaves chopped, 2 tablespoons honey, 3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses. Add 4 tablespoons vegetable oil to make a paste. Brilliant with lamb.
8. Buttermilk marinade - 1 pot of buttermilk (usually around 300ml) half a tablespoon each of cracked black pepper, sea salt and cayenne pepper. Zest and juice of 1 big fat lemon. The perfect partner to chicken.
9. Chimichurri - 1 big bunch of flat leaf parsley chopped, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 2 shallots finely chopped, 2 fat cloves of garlic crushed, 2 red chillies chopped, zest and juice of one big lemon, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar. Add 4 tablespoons olive oil to make the paste. Works with any grilled meats but nothing better than a sizzling steak.
10.Coffee buzz - 2 cups really strong brewed black coffee, ½ a cup of dark brown sugar, ¼ cup of English mustard, 2 crushed cloves garlic, ¼ cup red wine or sherry vinegar, 1 teaspoon each of dried chilli flakes and Chinese five spice powder. Grab some pork or beef for this deep dark rich marinade.
There you have it - my favourite ten, but my list could go on and on. Have a play, mix and match your favourite flavours and let us know what your favourite marvellous marinade turns out to be.