Banana cake with spiced rum icing
- Preheat a fan oven to 170c.
- Butter a medium sized loaf tine and line the bottom and sides with baking parchment.
- Peel and mash the 'nanas.
- In another bowl, beat the sugar, butter and cream until light and, well creamed.
- Into this, put the banana, and mix all this together.
- Sift together the flour, mixed spice, bicarb and baking soda, then add this - with the beaten egg - into the butter/sugar mix, about a third at a time, folding it all together as you go. Add the sultanas and walnuts.
- Finally, stir in the oil.
- Pour into a loaf tin, and put in the oven for an hour or so. You can tell it's done when you stick a skewer into it and it comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the icing by mixing the cream cheese, icing sugar and spiced rum in a bowl.
- Smear the icing all over the cake.
Keep testing with skewer from about 25-30 minutes and adjust the heat accordingly. What normally happens is that the top browns but the middle stays soft - just turn oven a little lower and keep an eye on it. It will cook - but just don't burn the top!