Caramelised onion sausage rolls
- Preheat a fan oven to 190 deg C
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl throughly. Shape into a ball and divide approximately in two.
- Cut the sheet of puff pasty in half down the centre, leaving it on the paper it comes rolled in.
- Place a ball of the meat in the middle of one of the peices of puff pastry and shape into a sausage across the length of the pastry 'til it meets the ends.
- Repeat with the second half. This activity is best accompanied by a cold beer.
- Roll the pastry over once 'til it encases the meat and position it so the seal is on the bottom.
- Whisk the egg with a splash of milk and brush the rolls all over liberally with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle the top of each with sesame and poppy seeds.
- Using a sharp knife trim the ends off each roll and cut each one into 12 even peices.
- Don't throw away the trimmings. Bake those on the edge of the tray - chef's treat.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay all the peices on the tray with a gap in between.
- Bake for 15 minutes then allow to cool on the tray before serving.
- You'll need to make at least a double batch as these fly off the plate. Not to mention the cheeky couple you sneak in the kitchen..ssshhh I won't tell.
Try this recipe with your favourite chutney at home too - you'll be pleased you did.