Creamy Cauliflower Stew
- Finely chop or grate the garlic
- Finely slice / shred the leek as thin as you can.
- Remove all the green from the cauli and shred the whole head into small pieces, chop chop chop the heck out of it. For an easy life, pulse the florets a couple of times in your food processor.
- In a good heavy bottom pot with a lid that fits add the olive oil and butter. Melt 'til the butter sizzles but does not brown. Keep on a medium heat.
- Add the leek, garlic and salt to the buttery oil and sweat for 1-2 mins.
- Add in the shredded cauli and sweat for 1 min mixing all the time to combine. Pop the lid on and sweat for 5-6 mins checking once or twice that it's not so hot that it browns.
- Add in the milk and nutmeg and cook for a further 10 minutes 'til all has yielded and given up its structure and become a lovely cauli stew.
- Serve with fish, roast meat or eggs.
- Serve with crispy skinned cod fillets, any roast meat or in a big bowl with a poached egg nestled in the centre and a grating of parmesan or any posh cheese over the top for a lush veggie supper.
- Crisp white wine like a Gavi is a good friend.
- Heavenly with gammon and a parsley sauce.