Fried Green Tomatoes
- Take your green tomatoes, wash and dry them. Using a small knife remove the eye at the top where the stem attaches but don't go too deep.
- Slice the tomatoes into round the thickness of two stacked pound coins and place them in a bowl or dish with a deep lip, try to keep them all in a single layer if possible.
- Now pour over the buttermilk and toss them all around to make sure they are thoroughly coated and rearrange in the dish in a layer. Place in the fridge and leave for an hour or two.
- Meanwhile place the salt, pepper and cornmeal in an a large bowl. Grate in the zest of the lemon and mix completely so everything is distrubuted well
- In a deep fryer or high sided pan heat oil to 170 deg c (make sure if using a pan that the pan is at least three times the volume of the oil).
- One by one remove the tomato slices from the buttermilk and dredge in the cornmeal, transfer the coated slices to a clean plate.
- Using tongs fry each slice until golden on both sides, around 3-4 minutes, do not overcrowd the pan. Drain on scrunched up paper towels and serve arrannged on a platter with a few bitter leaves such as rocket for garnish and ranch dressing for dipping.
Fry in batches and keep warm in the oven for big numbers.
Add spices such as cayenne or paprika to the cornmeal for a kick.