Mushroom and mozzarella tagliatelle
- Prepare a pan of salted boiling water. Start cooking the tagliatelle, following the packet instructions. Once cooked, drain, retaining a cup full of the pasta water.
- Gently heat the butter with a bit of olive oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat.
- Fry the red onions for a few minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Then add the mushrooms and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the wine, thyme and most of the parsley (leaving some for the garnish), lemon zest and mozzarella, with a few spoonfuls of the pasta water, stir to create a sauce.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cornflour to thicken the sauce. Stir.
- Add a handful of the parmesan and a small amount of lemon juice and season to taste.
- Toss the drained pasta in the sauce.
- Prepare a simple green salad (e.g. watercress and rocket salad) and a simple lemon and olive oil dressing.
- Serve the pasta with the salad, garnished with the remaining parsley and parmesan.
- Try this tagliatelle with Italian white wines like Bianco di Custoza/Soave or light red Merlot (Chile).
- If you need to add some meat to this, a little pave rump steak compliments it well.
- For vegetarians: ensure the mozzarella is vegetarian. Some are not. Rreplace the parmesan cheese with a hard cheese alternative with a vegetarian rennet.