Pancetta, leek and mushroom risotto
- Heat the oil in a large non stick saucepan on a moderate heat.
- Throw in the red onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the pancetta, cook for another 5 or so minutes.
- Throw in the leeks and cook for another few mins.
- Add the risotto, stir and cook for a minute or two until translucent.
- Add the wine and and stir until mostly soaked in.
- Crumble in the stock cube and add a ladleful of the hot water.
- Over the next 15 mins, stirring regularly, gradually add in each ladleful as it cooks and soaks into the rice. Throw in the mushrooms.
- Taste the risotto to check how cooked it is. Stir through with more hot water and cook a few more minutes if needed.
- When you are happy the rice is cooked, stir through half the parmesan and season to taste.
- Serve immediately, garnish with fresh thyme leaves, freshly ground pepper and the remaining parmesan.
- Serve with a lovely green salad.
- Make this ahead for dinner parties - cook 3/4 of the way during step 8, take off the heat and put the lid on. Simply resume the cooking at step 9 to finish off.