Pasta with a creamy black truffle sauce
Serves 2 people as a main, or 4 as a starter. Seriously consider making your own pasta for this dish – see Home-made pasta – it just tastes so much better. Or buy really good fresh tagliatelle, or as a last resort quality dried egg-rich tagliatelle in nest form.
- If possible, the day before you plan to cook this dish put the cream into a bowl and finely grate about three-quarters of the truffle into the cream (a Microplane grater is ideal for this). Cover and store in the fridge to infuse until the next day
- When ready to cook, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil for the pasta, and start to cook it.
- Melt the butter in a wide frying pan on a medium heat and add the cream with the grated truffle.
- Finely grate the parmesan and put to one side.
- When the pasta is still al dente (even egg-rich dried tagliatelle shouldn’t take more than 3-4 minutes, but follow pack instructions and keep checking), use tongs to transfer it from the saucepan of boiling water to the truffled cream in the frying pan. This will mean a spoonful or two of pasta cooking water will go with it, which is what you want.
- Stir the pasta into the truffled cream sauce. Add the grated parmesan, stir, and allow the sauce to continue to thicken on the heat for a minute or two. Season with sea salt flakes and ground white pepper.
- Serve into pre-warmed pasta bowls. Grate the remaining black truffle on top of each bowl of pasta. Depending on how strong you like your truffle flavour you could sprinkle a few drops of truffle oil on top of the hot pasta to release their aroma as well.
- Truffles only keep their aroma for a week or so after harvest, even in the fridge. So use as soon as possible for maximum flavour and freshness.
- Black truffles are best stored loosely wrapped in a paper towel, in an airtight container in the fridge, as they release water. Open the container daily, wipe away any condensation, and change the paper regularly, to keep the truffle fresh.
- You can shave slices of your truffle on top of your pasta which looks great, but you may need to buy extra so there is enough in the sauce too.