Pomegranate lamb kebabs
- Wash the fresh thyme and rosemary, then strip leaves off and place them in a mortar or small food processor.
- Add peeled garlic cloves and sea salt to the herb leaves.
- Make the marinade by pounding the mixture with the pestle until it turns into a paste, then mix in the olive oil (or in a food processor add the olive oil first and then switch it on).
- Add the pomegranate molasses and mix until fully combined.
- Cut lamb into 2.5- 3 cm cubes. You will need about 8 per person.
- Rub the marinade into the lamb cubes.
- Cut red onions into quarters, then each quarter in half, so outer layers can be used to make the kebabs.
- Cut the red peppers into 2.5cm square pieces.
- Make up kebabs on metal skewers by threading a piece of meat, then red onion then red pepper then a piece of meat etc.
- Place kebabs in a covered dish in the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours – removing them 15 minutes before cooking so they return to room temperature.
- Use a BBQ (or hot grill pan on stove top) to cook the kebabs on a high heat for about 7-8 minutes, turning once or twice to cook each side.
- Serve 2 skewers per person with warmed flat breads and some tzatziki for contrast.
- If you cook the kebabs indoors on a stove top make sure you have a good exhaust fan or open windows to reduce the smoke!
- You can use wooden skewers instead of metal, but make sure you soak them in water for at least an hour first so they don’t catch fire.
- If you don’t need to prepare the kebabs in advance, just marinate the meat and then make up the kebabs when you are ready to cook them.
- You can either buy tzatziki or try making a Dinnerset tzatziki.