Roasted broccoli and butternut squash with chilli and lemon
- Preheat a fan oven to 180 deg C.
- First peel the butternut squash or pumpkin (my most hated kitchen job, take my advice, bribe a minion into doing it for you) and dice it into half inch or so sized cubes.
- In a single layer spread the pumpkin out across one or two baking trays.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper and mix well, just enough oil to coat, no excess.
- Roast in the oven till it is golden brown and tender but not mushy. 20 minutes or so, Allow to cool on the trays.
- Do exactly the same with florets of the broccoli. The broccoli will take less time.
- In a big deep bowl, maybe even the one you will use for serving in, place the lemon juice and zest, the red chillies chopped, and a tablespoon of olive oil, whisk together and allow to stand while everything roasts and then cools.
- Add the cooled butternut squash and broccoli to the dressing and mix gently so as not to mush everything up. No squashed squash please!
- Serve scattered with the pumpkin seeds.
This makes a quickand easy vegetarian supper.
Also goes well with fish. I can think of not much finer to accompany a good grilled steak either.