Rustic leek & chickpea soup
- Heat butter and oil in large saucepan to a medium heat.
- Fry onion for 2 minutes on medium heat, add garlic for 1 minute.
- Add leeks and thyme, cook gently for further 5-10 minutes until soft.
- Add vegetable stock, potatoes and chickpeas.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes, until potatoes are soft.
- Add grated parmesan and stir. This will make the soup a bit creamier. Add more boiling water if too thick for your tastes.
- Season to taste. Mash gently with masher to thicken the soup a bit.
- Garnish with thyme and parmesan shavings. Enjoy.
- For vegetarians: swap Parmesan with an alternative that is made with a vegetarian rennet – Parmesan is not strictly vegetarian.
- For a smoother soup, whizz with a hand blender or food processor, pass through a sieve to remove chickpea skins.
- For any meat eating guests, you could humour them with some parma ham-wrapped breadsticks or flat strips of pancetta baked between 2 baking sheets - served as ‘crisps’ .