Sensationally spicy lentils
- Follow packet instrucitons to pre-soak lentils - some need soaking for an hour, some 24 hours.
- Boil the lentils in the water with the pinch of salt. Skim the scum from the top a few times until there's none left.
- Add the turmeric, garam masala and ginger and turn down to a simmer, cover with a lid, cook for approx an hour, stirring often until lentils tender and cooked.
- At the end of the hour, cook with the lid off for a bit longer to reduce down the lquid if there's some left.
- Meanwhile add the olive oil to a small pan and heat to medium, not too hot, now add the cumin, garlic and chillies, in that order, with 20 seconds in between until everything is lightly toasted.
- Take it immediately off the heat and pour the oil straight into the lentils whilst it's still hot.
- Serve hot for a great addition to an easy curry night.
Serve however you like - a great side dish to any curry or as a virtuos veggie dish a dollop of yoghurt and rice or chapatis.