Smoked mackerel orange and watercress salad
- Depending on how formal this occasion is, this dish can be served either in one big bowl or on individual plates.
- First make the dressing: whisk the olive oil, mustard and honey together in a jug. Add a few teaspoons of lemon juice to taste and also to thin it. If it is still too thick for your tastes or too strong, add more olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place rinsed and dried watercress in an attractive serving bowl.
- Throw chicory and the orange segment bites on top randomly.
- Remove the mackerel skins and flake the mackerel fillets over the top.
- Sprinkle the chopped spring onions over the top to garnish.
- Season with a bit of pepper (no extra salt needed).
Drizzle the dressing over and serve.
- Try this with a Vinho Verde (Portugal) or weissebier beer.
- Avocado would go quite nicely in this dish too.
- This is a great light summer dish. It would work well for a buffet, so long as temperature wasn’t too warm (which would wilt the watercress).