Smoked salmon, cheddar and spinach tart
- Take pastry out of fridge and allow to warm for half an hour.
- Preheat a fan oven to 160 deg C.
- Meanwhile blanch your spinach – 1 minute in boiling water and drain.
- Lightly grease a circular round flan / tart tin ( I couldn't find mine so I used a 20cm approx cake tin with a springform side, which worked just as well).
- Lay pastry over. Fit and cut the pastry to a good height all the way round (the pastry will shrink a bit in the blind bake and you don't want your mixture escaping over the edge). Gently press at the corners.
- Lay some baking paper on top and cover the pastry in baking beans or a pulse type bean and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Take out and leave on the side, carefully removing the baking paper and hot beans.
- Lay the smoked salmon, red onion and drained blanched spinach in the tart in a random pattern.
- Whisk the eggs, mustard and cream in a bowl. Season with black pepper (no extra salt is needed).
- Pour the egg mix over the smoked salmon, spinach and red onion, leaving some mixture if required to leave room for the cheese so that it doesn’t spill over the sides.
- Scatter the cheddar cheese on top.
- Put immediately in the oven to bake for 25 minutes, until golden on top.
- Serve hot or cold with green vegetables or a green salad. I served it with rocket which worked well.
- Try this tart with a South African Chenin Blanc or lightly oaked Macon Chardonnay or Rauchbier.
- For a more elegant finish, this can also be served as individual portions in smaller flan dishes.
- This tart is great hot or cold for a buffet.