Gluten free sweet potato falafels
- Rinse the chickpeas and pour into food processor.
- Add the grated sweet potato, spring onions, mint, parsley, coriander, garlic, salt and rice flour.
- Blitz the ingredients until fairly fine. You may need to stop and stir to ensure it is all well mixed and the same consistency.
- Arrange 2 plates next to each other. Pout rice flour in one.
- Take a small dessertspoon sized scoop of the mixture (you are aiming for a bite-sized large cherry tomato over an orange!) and squeeze it in one hand to compress it gently into a ball. Roll the ball in the rice flour and place on the 2nd empty plate.
- Repeat until you have used all the falafel mixture.
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the olive oil and fry the balls in batches, as evenly as possible, for 6-8 minutes. Add more oil in the pan if the balls get too dry.
- Serve hot or cold as canapé with dips or as starter with a green salad or pitta.
- I added some Argan oil to the olive oil which gave really nice nutty flavour.
- Make your own dips – add dill or harissa to sour cream.
- Spice up your falafels with chopped chillies in the falafel mix.