The Best Ragu Ever
- Cut streaky bacon into lardons. Fry in big deep pot (no oil).'til sizzling.
- Add both pork and beef. Separating with your spoon as you add to avoid meat clumps
- Chop the chicken livers into smaller pieces and add.
- Wash hands thoroughly and cook the whole lot on a high heat 'til meat is browned.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, dried herbs/spices and cover with a lid after stirring well.
- Turn down heat to medium and cook stirring every so often for 10 minutes.
- Add red wine. Turn heat back up to evaporate alcohol.
- When it stops smelling boozy you're good to go.
- Add all other ingredients except the milk.
- When adding the tomatoes then add a half can of water. Swishing to make sure you get all the tomato goodness.
- Stir well and bring to a good boil.
- Add milk. Stir and turn down to a low heat. Simmer lid on for an hour.
- Check occasionally whilst you drink the left over red wine.
- Take lid off and cook another 30-60 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Allow to cool and chill overnight - thistastes even better on day 2 or 3.
- Serve with rigatoni or other suitablu butch and rugged pasta shape.
- This ragu make a lush lasagne.
- This isn't just a recipe you can make ahead, it actually makes it taste better to make it ahead! 2-3 days for utimate flavour mingling.
- Why not go big and make doule portions? Then you've got a batch ready in the freezer for an easy laasge.