Tomato, lentil and bacon soup
- In a large saucepan fry the bacon in a small glug of olive oil for a few minutes on a medium heat.
- Add the onion and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the leek and carrots, stir and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, lentils, tomatoes and bay leaf.
- Simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste. Serve immediately.
- Try this with a young Spanish red wine from Rioja or Navarra.
- This dish can be spiced up with chilli flakes or chilli oil.