Makes about 800ml of vegetable stock.
- Roughly chop the carrots, onions leek and celery into small chunks of similar size.
- Place all ingredients into a large saucepan. Put a lid on and bring to the boil.
- Skim any bubbles that have formed from the impurities when it boils, and then reduce to a gentle simmer
- Simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Strain the stock with a sieve to remove the vegetables and herbs, then let it cool.
- Once cool enough place in appropriate container in the fridge or freezer.
- If you want to make more than 800ml of vegetable stock simply increase all the ingredient quantities proportionately.
- It is fine to adjust the proportions of the four main vegetables depending on what you have or what you want to use it for (e.g. more carrot for a carrot and coriander soup stock base).
- Use the vegetable stock as the base for all kinds of soups, risottos and stews, including the super-healthy tomato and lentil soup and the wonderful Moroccan prawn and potato hotpot.